INSTRUCTIONS FOR COLLECTING WATER SAMPLES FOR BACTERIOLOGICAL EXAMINATION
Sample bottle can be obtained from RDCK planning office 202 Lakeside drive, Nelson. The sample bottle contains a chemical powder to neutralize any chlorine. Do not take water samples from any tap which may have additional water treatment devices on it (e.g. home water softener, etc.). Collect from cold water tap only.
STEP ONE: LABEL THE SAMPLE BOTTLE AND COMPLETE THE CHAIN OF CUSTODY FORM
1. Fill out the sample bottle label with information on the water source, time collected, date, your name
2. Fill out the chain of custody form to accompany the sample.
3. Please call or Email to confirm delivery.
STEP TWO: COLLECT DRINKING WATER SAMPLE
1. Before taking a water sample, wash your hands thoroughly and remove any aerators, hoses, filters, splash guards or screens.
2. Ensure the faucet is free of contamination before the sample is taken. If you suspect the sampling tap may be contaminated or dirty, the faucet may be wiped with an alcohol wipe or a mild chlorine solution (1 part household bleach per 10 parts water) to prevent the tap from contaminating the sample.
3. Flush the water lines before sampling:
If water is collected from a tap without a mixing faucet – run the water for 2 to 3 minutes on cold before collecting the sample. If water is collected from a tap with a mixing faucet – run the hot water for 2 minutes and then the cold water for 2 to 3 minutes before sampling. Reduce water flow in order to fill the sample bottle without splashing.
4. Remove cap from the sample bottle without touching the inside of the cap or mouth of the bottle.
5. Fill the sample bottle (without rinsing) to at least the 200mL fill line, marked on the bottle. Do not adjust the fluid level in any manner following collection. Screw cap on tightly.
6. Place filled bottle, completed COC form and cheque inside a zip lock plastic bag and keep the sample cool prior to delivery.
REPORTING OF BACTERIOLOGIAL WATER SAMPLE RESULTS
Sample results are normally sent to you via email within a week of receipt of sample, or as soon as possible in the event of a poor sample result.
For any questions, contact an Environmental Health Officer in your area or Passmore Laboratory at 250-226-7339
Sample Transport and Delivery
Ship promptly early in the week, and ship under refrigeration in cooler with sufficient ice packs to maintain temperature at < 10 degrees C, but not frozen. Ship only by same day or overnight courier. (Samples exceeding 30 hours holding time or excessively warm will not be tested) Send coolers labelled “Critical Shipment – Water Samples” to Passmore Laboratory at 4240 Passmore Upper Road Winlaw, BC V0G2J0. Attn. J. or T. Yeow. Time sample shipment so that it arrives within allocated time period. From Nelson, you can ship via Nelson Same Day Courier. We have a drop off service in Nelson and Castlegar for certain days. Please Email us at email@example.com or call for information and instructions.
“Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater”, 21st
Edition, A.P.H.A., A.W.W.A., W.P.C.P., New York, 2005, Part 9000.
HOW TO GET TO PASSMORE LABORATORY
Driving north on Highway 6, go past Slocan Park (Slocan Valley Co-Op). Approximately two kilometers you will see an electrical substation on your right. Turn left here (Passmore Upper Road) and go across the Slocan River bridge. Drive straight and stay on main road (winds up the hill). After two kilometers the pavement ends – drive 1/2 kilometer further and you will see a red sign on the left (Passmore Laboratory).
Park in the driveway on the left.